Full-time position currently available
Energy Modeler & Energy Analyst
Located a block from the beach, we are a 15-year-old high-performance building and sustainability consultancy company. Gaia specializes in energy-efficient building consulting, energy modeling, and building commissioning. One of the leaders in high-performance real estate in Los Angeles, our roots extend to the early days of the sustainable building movement. We are a small, mission-driven company that provides benefits comparable to those of a larger company. Our unique culture is fun but professional. Based in a creative office space, we are focused on transforming the built environment. Our portfolio of projects includes some of the largest and most successful developers in the west.
Gaia is seeking a full-time Energy Modeler with experience in sustainable, high-performance buildings to conduct building performance analysis and produce reports. The ideal candidate will have a technical background in Engineering, Building Sciences, Architecture, or similar and a minimum of 2 years of professional experience in the green building/design sector.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set up and run whole-building energy models using Energy Pro, IES, eQuest, etc.
- Conduct energy modeling for LEED v4 projects and review LEED credit documentation related to energy performance for compliance with standards.
- Review of mechanical drawings and mechanical equipment submittals, electrical drawings and/ or architectural drawings and specifications.
- Evaluate energy conservation measures including envelope performance improvements, HVAC, lighting controls, domestic hot water, central plants, renewable energy systems, etc.
- Perform calculations of potential energy savings opportunities.
- Communicate in graphic and/or written form the inputs, methodology, and key findings and recommendations from the energy analysis.
- Design and model net zero buildings and help support clients on a range of decarbonization and carbon neutral strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Engineering, Environmental Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Engineering Technology, or other related fields
- Minimum 2 years of experience conducting energy models.
- Experience with energy simulation software such as Energy Pro, IES, eQuest, etc
- Experience conducting detailed whole-building energy modeling for LEED projects.
- Experience with codes and standards including ASHRAE 90.1 and Title 24 Part 6.
- Knowledge of high-performance building principles and technologies.
- Work experience in the high-performance sustainable design sector.
- Knowledge of sustainability certifications such as LEED and Living Building Challenge.
- Ability to communicate problems clearly and simply to clients, engineers, architects, and internal team members.
- Excellent written, graphical, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem solving, analytical and research skills.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree: Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Energy Field other related fields
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE)
- Salary commensurate with role and experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 3% to 401K, plus profit sharing
- Project bonuses
- Paid Time Off: vacation, sick, holidays, and volunteering
- 9/80 work schedule
- Opportunity to telecommute
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Include in the subject line “Energy Modeler”