Gaia is looking for a Building Commissioning Engineer (Registered Mechanical Engineer – PE) to join our team.
At Gaia, we collaborate with building owners, designers, contractors, property managers to consult on energy efficient building projects. We are seeking a full-time Mechanical Engineer with experience in mechanical system design, evaluation, construction and operations to join our team and provide building commissioning services. We support green building projects, the majority of which are pursuing LEED certification or California Title 24 Compliance.
Functions & Responsibilities:
- Work on new construction and existing buildings to assess and confirm the efficiency of energy-using systems.
- Oversee testing of HVAC, lighting, domestic hot water, landscape irrigation, and renewable energy systems, and their associated controls, to verify performance as designed.
- Troubleshoot operational problems and inefficiencies in MEP systems.
- Perform energy savings and cost analyses of energy efficiency measures.
- Oversee OPR, BOD, FPT, SVC.
- Conduction ASHRAE Level I, II, and III Audits.
- ENERGY STAR certification.
- Review design and specifications to maximize system performance and ensure compliance with appropriate requirements, i.e. California Energy Commission (CEC),Title 24, LEED v2009, LEED v4, Living Building Challenge, etc.
- Must be a PE.
- Experience in testing or validating MEP systems, knowledge of MEP systems.
- Experience in mechanical design, evaluation, construction and building operations.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in complying with California Title 24 code preferred
- LEED v2009 and LEED v4.
- Monitoring-based commissioning.
- Enclosure commissioning.
- Minimum 7 years’ professional experience in the building industry or environmental sciences.
- Understanding of green building technologies and strategies, particularly energy-related strategies, including renewables.
- Experience analyzing construction documents.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Travel required.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in LEED projects and a LEED AP.
- Experience in energy modeling for LEED or other purposes (beyond T24 code compliance).
- Experience in M&V implementation.
- Experience performing ASHRAE building audits.
- Ongoing commissioning and monitoring based commissioning.
- Knowledge of CALGreen, LEED and other sustainability frameworks and tools such as ENERGY STAR, Living Building Challenge.
- Experience presenting to large audiences.
- Experience with envelope commissioning.
- Experience with AutoCAD, SketchUp, Life Cycle Cost (Analysis), Microsoft Project.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with role and experience.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance.
- 3% to 401K, plus profit share
- Paid Time Off: Vacation, Sick, Holidays.
- Opportunity to play a role in making the world a better place.
Our headquarters is a block to beach, in a building we are going after full LBC certification. We are a 12-year-old high performance building and sustainability consultancy. Gaia specializes in energy efficient building consulting, energy modeling, and building commissioning. One of the leaders in high performance real estate in Los Angeles, our roots extend to the early days of the sustainable building movement. We are a small, mission-driven company that provides benefits comparable to those of a larger company. Our unique culture is fun but professional. Based in a creative office space, we are focused on transforming the built environment. Our portfolio of projects includes some of the largest and most successful developers throughout Southern California and in five states.
Please email resume, cover letter, salary requirements and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org asap.
Include in the subject line “Mechanical Engineer.”